Friday, June 18, 2010

A little kindness goes a long way!

You may recall a couple posts I wrote last October about an expansor plaque related to Mic's orthadontic needs? Well I finally have an update! After breaking the first one twice, the doc decided we should give it a break for a few months and just go back to palate stimulation by hand in the meantime. The end of May we got back in to the office to map out the next plan of attack and take a mold. I was very impressed with the student doctor that worked with us that day...which, I might add, is a first in that department. I typically try to avoid the students at all cost based on past negative experiences that aren't worth going into. Anyway, this gal did an awesome job at all aspects of what she did and managed the most agile, pain free mouth mold of anyone yet. After that unpleasantness was out of the way she asked Mic what color she wanted her plaque to be. Mic asked for pink, of course! I added that glittery would be great as we call it her "princess plaque" (it helps with acceptance). This week we went in to fit the plaque and bring it home. Imagine our surprise when we were given this!
Yep! Thats a princess. In the plaque!!! OH my word! They made my daughter's day!!! You know, we go to a government hospital and sometimes you can really tell it...but then every once in a while someone comes along and completly randomly and unexpectadly goes far beyond the call of duty just to make things a little bit easier on my kiddo. ...and it makes me kinda tear up and feel a bunch of emotions that are hard to put in words. And its a good thing...real good.

Along with the princess I am greatful for a couple other things about this plaque. Firstly, they shaped it a bit differently and it stays in waaaaayyyyy better than the other one. So much so that we can actually use it without the denture paste during that day and that is a huge blessing. And secondly, it seems that those extra five or six months that passed since we tried to use that last one really made a difference in Mic. She has done really great at accepting this and keeping it in. I am so proud of her. She has thrown up twice becasue of the thing, but that hasn't traumatized her. Its a process and it is hard work, but she is really taking it on like a trooper.

Its late and thats my excuse for my type-os. But before I go, rather than pull out my dicctionary and proof read, let me paste a couple more pictures just for fun.

My little joy, loving her bannana in a bag : )

My kids with some of their friends at another fun playdate recently.

2 comments:

Karime said...

Que maravilla lo de la placa de princesa!! :) De verdad que Mic es una niƱa valiente, felicidades a Dominique!!!

KaraBeagle said...

Nina valiente, indeed!
It's true that when you bless our children, you bless the parents. See my blog post, A Righteous Anger, for my version of this.....