Well... as you probably know there is a flu bug going around in our town. I personally feel the media blows things way out of proportion. It annoys the bajeebers out of me to read things like "New, Never-before-seen, Deadly Virus Appears". Ummm, hello, correct me if I am wrong, but every round of flu is "new" isn't it? Isn't that why they create a NEW flu shot for each flu season? So, please, don't make the herd of people who don't think this through for themselves feel like the world is going to end just because this strain of flu isn't familiar. And then there is the classic "as many as 83 dead due to Swine flu" but if you keep reading clear to the end actually in reality only 23 of those deaths are confirmed to have been this flu thus far. Sure, 23 are worth taking into consideration, but really what percentage of this city's population would 23 work out to be? More babies than that died in this city today because of abortion, which is beside the point, but perhaps helps perspective a little bit? And finally there are the "fears that it could spread into a global pandemic" though if you continue to read you will discover that the same expert does admit that it is far to soon to actually declare such a thing. So my point, before I step of my soap box, is simply that it drives me nuts to see the media paste half truths and some down right lies* in the big letters at the top of the page which, sadly, is the only part that many people read and thus promoting panic, fear and terror to a world that doesn't need that on top of everything else!
That said, the illness is real, and I have always been a firm believer in being safe rather than sorry. So, while I am not hiding in my home panic stricken nor in fear. We did decide to stay home from church today. Our reasoning being that Mic has a higher risk factor and lower defenses than the average person and almost always comes home from Sunday School with a runny nose anyway. She is just finally pulling out of her last illness and...its just not worth taking a chance on my princess' health. So, we slept in, and when we finally got up, had a silly slipper morning while listening to our church service online.

Hooray for a relaxing morning and super silly slippers!!!
*This mornings news lie being that the papers had pasted in big letters that any Churches that held meetings today would be severely fined. Flat out lie. Our church was on the phone to the actual powers that would have the ability to make such a fine and both last night and this morning they did confirm that the headline was....FALSE! Unbelievable.
5 comments:
Thanks for posting. I was thinking of your family and was hoping that the headlines were blown out of proportion. I like the slippers! Glad Mic is feeling better.
I second what Carla said. AND in the same way that half truths and speculation are put in print as reality in this case, it is the same in politics. But that's a whole other soapbox.
Anyway...where are YOUR silly slippers Birdie???
Mine aren't silly enough to make photo status! : )
Mine aren't silly enough to make photo status! : )
I'm glad you are doing well! I have been thinking about you...
Post a Comment