So, there have been a few moments the last couple weeks that need to be matted, framed and hung on this word wall of mine.
My eldest daughter, eating supper. She hasn´t been into noodles lately, but is SLOWLY and dutifully eating the maccaroni Papi is feeding her. Suddenly she stops and gags. Emotion masked I calmly ask her what is wrong. It turns out she got one of her hairs in her mouth! She shudders from the texture, spits out the bite, gets it taken care of (and here comes the amazing part), calmly picks up her fork and takes another bite! "CLICK!"
Mic and her brother want a snack. I make soft serve banana ice cream in the blender. Both siblings sit at the counter enjoying the cool treat. It quickly turns sloppy in the afternoon heat (just the texture she struggles with most) and dribbles down my daughters chin, she ignores the dribble and continues to slurp. When it is too liquid to use a spoon, she tips the bowl up to take some sips. "CLICK!"
Mic is eating cheese. She finishes the portion on her plate and asks for more. I tell her to eat a carrot stick and I will give her more cheese. She does. Switching textures without thinking twice nor missing a beat! "CLICK!"
I feel like Mic´s oral feeding process has been bogged down lately as far as volume goes. At meal time she can find 101 was to play and distract herself and she just doesn´t stay on task. I run out of motivators and ideas or am too busy attending the rest of the family and end up nagging and then hating myself for it. However, meditating a bit on where we have come from, where we are at, and where we want to be, all these little texture related examples began to collect in my mind. And I realized that somewhere along the way, so slowly and gradually that I almost didn´t catch it, things that used to be catastrofic are becoming none issues. And this, my friends, is another real life miracle in our journey. Thank you , Lord.
Each child is so unique. This is an obvious fact that never ceases to amaze me. My baby girl has begun to eat cereal and vegetable purees. Contrary to her big brother at her age, she is in LOVE with her food! Yes, she nurses and likes it, but when she wants to eat "food", she is a girl with a mission. Never have I seen a child open up so wide to recieve a spoonfull! I am really enjoying her adventure into this new world of purees, it is pure delight for the both of us! : )
1 comment:
Wow, what an encouraging post!
I'm so glad God gave you that glimpse of how far you have come! It's so encouraging to see the fruits of our labors!!
Post a Comment