Saturday, December 12, 2009

Melted Mind

One of the most frequently asked questions to moms of new babies everywhere must be, "so, how are you adjusting?" The question doesn't bother me in the least, but it does leave me in a bit of a dilemma...how to answer?
"Fine", "I'm tired", "Honkey-dory! I have three children five and under, I change about a dozen diapers a day and clean up at least two puddles...", "If I arrive at adjusted I'll let you know", "Well, my hemorrhoids are finally going away, I think" ;-) ...How much honesty is too much? How elequent ought I to be?
And even worse, while my mind is scrambling for an honest answer with some real depth, my train barrels straight ahead, when it should have taken the curve at 30mph and by the time I get back on track sometimes I can't even remember the question I intended to answer. This gift of multitasking that God placed in the female makeup, is the key to any new mother's survival, and yet even this amazing skill can be shortcircuted by overload. Fortunatly for me I can simultaniously prepare supper, referee my children's quarrel and get the last load of laundry up on the line to dry, and all the while my mind is working on how to better teach my children manners, forming tomorrows to-do list, and conjuring up ideas for the next blog entry. My husband, bless his soul, would have burned supper and left the clothes to mold while untangling the children. Its not his fault, he simply wasn't given the same wiring.
My problem lies in that my mental capacity has a red line similar to the overheated line on a car dash, and anymore I always seem to be just below the red. Suddenly I realize that I have lost the capacity to prioritize! Of the eight things I needed to remember and six things I wanted to accomplish, I did manage to cover the trivial chore of refolding the sloppy clothes in the wardrobe...but forgot to give Mic an entire tube feeding which represents about a fourth of her needed daily calorie intake. This type of thing has happened more times than I care to admit in the last month and a half since little blessing #3 has graced our household with her presence.
So...I am blessed and spread thin and trying to remember...now, just where was I going with all of this!? : )

1 comment:

TJ & Cheryl said...

Birdie, I love this post!