My son is 1yr. 7mo. old. I have noticed that he is talking...a lot! So, I decided last week to try and write down everything that I heard him say. This is what I heard,
No
Mama
Papa
Hi
Hola
More
Stop
Ball
Hat
Voy
Fish
Moo
Boy
Milk
Brush
Jump
Stool
Baby
Bebe
Water
Agua
Down
Sock
Apple
Banana
Cookie
Bye-bye
Gracias
All Done
Coche
A Book
Ketchup
Hot Dog
Up-up
Abre
Backpack
Baa Baa
Meow
Tostada
Watch Dora
I Know
And this is not an exhaustive list of his vocabulary! I am very happy to see that while he definitely understands both, English is dominating his expressive communication so far.
...Even though I know that his big sister is not a fair point of comparison I cannot help but compare their development and just laugh in amazement at this kid. Its so fun to listen to him talk! He also talks in running sentences, but I usually don't understand a word of it yet. Its so much fun. Oh, and get this, his favorite song,...every single time I ask him what he would like me to sing for him next, he requests the backpack song from Dora. ...Hee, hee...don't ask!
I will say that we are definitely in the market for some boyish cartoons on DVD! : )
1 comment:
boyish cartoons...our son, at 8, still loves Bob the Builder. You might try him on that. And what about Thomas? Our son loves Dora too, and Maya and Miguel.
My son and daughter have been very different developmentally as well. I did the same thing with my daughter at 17 months and I could list 170 words (all English). My son, at that age had fewer than 5 (none of which was Mom). Even at almost 3, he had less than a dozen words!! But then, about 6 weeks before his 3rd birthday, he started speaking in complete sentences. Go figure.
My daughter started walking at 9 months. She would pull herself up on a piece of furniture and then walk...and then fall in the middle of the floor and be stuck, because she could not crawl yet. She she learned to crawl so she could pull herself up and walk some more. My son, on the other hand, was a very fast crawler and butt-scooter. He could walk at 10 months, but then quit. At 13 months, at a crowded family gathering, where there were no other children under the age of about 8, he just stood up and walked and never went back.
My daughter learns things in nice neat orderly progression. My son internalizes everything and then suddenly one day just does things, like walking and talking. it's amazing how different we all are; and challenging as a parent.
Post a Comment