Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Rant and Irony

So... I decided it was time to look for pair of presentable maternity pants as I'm pretty lacking in that area. And what a surprise was to be had! Apparently, maternity clothing is a dying market. Every department store I have visited in the area unapologetically informed me that they no longer carry maternity clothing as the blouses in style now are loose anyway and will work just fine. Have you ever heard the like!? I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking if they just expect us pregnant gals to go naked from the waist down or what. We did find that the little overpriced boutique style maternity shops are still in business--thank God for clearance racks!

Often times I feel like my children are a psychological study and my job is to discover what makes them tick. The latest irony. Toy structures at restaurants and fast food joints. Twice recently we have gone out as a family with the main motivator being play, and "eat" coming in very secondary. The scenario goes something like this. As the car pulls into the parking lot my children spy the play structure and loud cheering and happy sounds erupt from the back seat of the car. As we enter the building the excited words "play" and "toys" are heard repeatedly. As we enter the play area and pick a table the children begin to quiet and press in towards my legs and at the suggestion that they go check it out clinging and protest begins. I, quite frankly, was not a clingy child, not even remotely. In fact, I was probably a little too extreme the other way. I've given this several laps through my brain, but the truth is that I truly do not "get" this!

And in closing, a few more fun pics! My MIL crocheted a dress for Mic. The Sunday her aunt left it was complete and ready to wear. Mic LOVED it. I think that because it fits her a bit long, she feels like a princess in it.
Dancing
Proud with Auntie and Grandma

5 comments:

KaraBeagle said...

Mic DOES look like a princess in that dress. She will wear it until it is threadbare or skin tight.

I don't know how old Mic is, but at 3 it's soooooo common to be clingy, even into 4. Brother is probably just following along. But 1-year-olds have something like a 50-foot invisible cord to Mommy (50, give or take). Three year olds have separation anxiety...It will change, just go with it. Not a personality thing so much as an age thing....

Christy said...

I'm going to email you some links for easily making pants into maternity pants. It's cheaper than paying ridiculous amounts for maternity pants...why are those clothes so expensive???

Christy said...

oops. i forgot to email that link. heh heh. off to do it right now.

Ellen said...

What a beautiful dress...and even moreso with the love that was undoubtedly poured into it as it was being made! She IS a princess! :-)

I forgot; when do you plan to get to Oregon?

Blessed Mom said...

Old Navy, Kmart & Target all carry Maternity still. My sister-in-law recently got some nice pants at one of them, not sure which now though LOL. Check them while you are in Oregon :-)

Oh try Goodwill too. When I was pregnant with Rosa I went in there numerous times trying to find a maternity skirt. Skirts were impossible to find, never did get one *sigh*, but there always had TONS of maternity pants.