This evening we found a rash all over Mic's tummy and back...this lead to all adults in the house taking a look. A consultation in mom's medical books and online followed. The consensus is unanimous. Doctor Mom and associates says that the mysterious and scary illness plaguing Mic since Saturday is no longer mysterious nor scary, its just roseola (learn more at http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/roseola.html) . Nice to know now that she is basically better, eh!?
Today Mic still laid pretty low and didn't have an appetite at all, but it is obvious that she is finally on the mend and that is the important part. Tomorrow we will try to pick up where we left of with oral feeding and find out how much tummy stretch we lost.
I read a blip on Dorcus' blog (http://dorcassmucker.blogspot.com/) that made me laugh, but I could also SOOO identify! She said in reference to her daughters health struggle,
"People have been asking how she's doing and I hesitate to say anything positive because a) I've hoped and then been disappointed so many times and b) a lot of people have no concept of the long continuum from sick to well and so if I say "about the same" they think it's terrible and if I say "a little better" they assume she's well and will go get a full time job tomorrow."
I think that it can be difficult to truly comprehend the huge continuum that eating encompasses. In many minds you either "eat" or "you don't eat". I would love to be able to delete the question "so, is she eating yet?" from the mouths of those who are looking for a one word answer without details. There just isn't one. Its just not that simple, nor does it appear that it will be fast in Mic's case. I think we will be talking about this process for awhile yet! : )
1 comment:
RYC--I'm honored to be quoted on your blog; feel free to do so without asking permission. And my heart goes out to you with your daughter's long journey, and obviously your own as well.
Post a Comment