Thursday, November 20, 2008

Past is history, Tomorrow is mystery...what will we do with today?


We've been on the go a lot in the last week. We spent about four of those days up at my sisters house and had a marvelous time with her and her family. Two highlights were late night Settlers of Catan games and seeing the cousins warm up to each other and really start having a hay day. While in that area we also took some time to visit some old haunts of ours like where we did VS for two years and visiting some of the members of Mic's medical team from that time. That her doctors and nurses have an on going personal interest in how Mic is doing even though she is no longer on their paying client list says volumes for them...and we love them so much for it! Oh, and as you can see in the pictures above, uncle M gives haircuts, so we took advantage of that and got baby D's first "official" trim. He behaved very nicely!
An interesting observation on culture I have been mulling over a bit is that speaking in vast generalizations, everyone is very busy doing their own life...to the point that in day to day living they often, without meaning to, do not stop and take time for those near and dear to them...knowing that "there is always tomorrow". However, when one comes from far off and will only be around a short while there is an overwhelming tendency to drop everything and do whatever possible to get some good quality time together. ...in no way am I criticizing anyone, except perhaps myself. I am just noticing a human tendency and contrasting it with God's Word which teaches us we have "no promise of tomorrow". As I return back to my own day to day flurry how could I better arrange my priorities to give proper place for the important instead of forever attending the "urgent"? I'm not sure...but I know I need to work on it.
Oral feeding is going well, as we got completely past her illness the numbers worked their way back up almost to what they had previously been. When visiting over a meal we are less diligent in giving Mic 100% of our undivided attention and that always does make a difference in that particular meal's success, but in general she is eating at least 300 oral cal. a day often more, sometimes a little less. We will just keep plugging away at it, and I have faith that over time the number is going to grow. In the meantime we, of course supplement the rest of her calorie needs with the blenderized diet through her tube. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and at the moment, in that perspective, spirits are hopeful and high.

2 comments:

Koepnick Family said...

Hi Bernida,
I appreciated your comments about how busy everyone is. That is so true. The crazy thing is as kids get older we get busier, as we are in more and more stuff. That is why I like your blog. It feels like sitting down with you in the room and having a talk. This also inspired me to do a blog - to keep in touch more with the friends and family I have.
By the way how do we get those flags up? I would like to see one other Canadian flag.
Love and hugs, Janice

KaraBeagle said...

Just wanted to wish you all a happy Thanksgiving.