Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Como Pelar Un Coco

When I was 16 yr. old and in the Dominican Republic for the summer, my friend and I really wanted to make a coconut smoothie, so we saved up our precious ice cubes and on our day off somehow got our hands on a coconut and a machete. We had no idea what we were doing. By the grace of God we didn't lose any limbs...when we finally got that thing open we were exhausted...and lost almost all the water! I felt like crying!

I hadn't touched one since, but last week I saw some for about 75cents a piece at the grocery store. I don't know how much a coconut should cost but felt like that was probably too good to pass up. Some gals on my Blenderized Diet group are always talking about how great they are for weight gain and brain development, so I got one for Mic.

Someone from the BD group kindly passed me this link with a great tutorial for opening a coconut. (http://www.howtoope nacoconut. com/ ) And so with greater idea and NO machete I set about opening up the coconut yesterday. : ) And below are the pictures of my successful project.
Getting the tools ready
Draining the water...
note to self: next time make bigger holes and use a wide dish, not a narrow jar.
VICTORY!
YUMMMMMM!

2 comments:

Valonda L. said...

Yummmm. My mouth is watering. I haven't had fresh coconut in SOOO long!

KaraBeagle said...

I love coconut, but fresh always gives me the trots....