I can't get my daughter to just use the bathroom straightforward and business like. Either she has an accident else where, doesn't "quite" make it and leaves a puddle directly in front of the toilet, or spends LONG amounts of time wasting water and making a huge soap mess all over the sink and handles. I have guided her through the correct routine oodles of times, made up little games to trigger memory and make it fun. ...and its not working. I really am ready to pull out my hair. But Wednesday took the cake! Upon realizing that she was in the bathroom and all was a little too quiet I made hasty beeline for the door to check the happenings on the interior of our bathroom. She had urinated in the toilet (miracle) and was happily dipping a shoe string in the bowl of pee water and then flinging it around. What!? I was NOT a happy mommy. Even recognizing that there may be humor to this in about 10 years when we re-tell it could not calm me...I was not happy.
And then there is the dear son. I have read and studied extensively on health, nutrition and healthy mealtime habits. I know all about the things that you should do and not do so as to avoid food jagging and picky eaters. Oh, I "KNOW" it "all" (please catch my sarcasm)...but really when it comes down too it, some kids just do not follow the rules. It seems a cruel twist of fate that dealing with a child that does not eat orally is not enough, I was blessed with a number two that does not obey the rule book. "They" say, "just place healthy choices in front of him and he will make healthy decisions". He says, "I'd rather just not eat...and then cry because I am hungry". Seriously, this week has been the culmination of this hair pulling situation. Tell me, what child does not like macaroni and cheese!? I made it lovingly, from scratch, with little bits of hotdog it it and lots of yummy cheese. He would not take a single bite of it. And yesterday, I saw the surely never-before-seen. He refused to taste a MacDonald's hamburger, preferring rather, to go hungry on our outing.
And since I certainly was going to pull my hair out if we did not get out of the house, yesterday we had a little fun! We met two other moms with young kids and took on the children's museum. I had never been there before. I was disappointed that even getting there early on a week day there were still a LOT of people, but we were able to find plenty of great areas appropriate for our kids' age and interest and as school groups entered the IMAX we had some areas a little more to ourselves and really had a great time in general.
In closing I will say that I am well aware that all moms have "hair pulling moments". I'm pretty sure it comes in the official job description. And thank goodness that even though this week in particular I feel like they have been spreading my patience a little thinner than usual, there are still a lot of moments when my kiddos are just cute and loveable and those are the moments I live for. This morning Mic had her stuffed kitty and was singing "head and shoulders" while moving its paws to make it do the motions--to cute. I waited a long long time to hear her sing...and just can't get enough of it!!! : )
3 comments:
i know you must have been peeved when you caught Mic but I thought it was freakin' hilarious!!! Seriously, I was rolling on the floor laughing! Too funny! I would save that story for when the boyfriend meets you. Ahhhh....sweet revenge.
my mother-in-law used to tell a story about my husband, when he was still in diapers, who, right before guests started arriving for a party, took off his poopy diaper and "painted" the bathroom walls.
It will be funny when you look back. Some of us are smiling NOW. :)
I think the standard, "if you won't eat what we're having, you get PB&J (or just PB)" might work. I'm sure you read about MY son and his eating...he actually ate a slice of dill pickle yesterday!! yay!! He's starting to sample things I eat that his dad (the cook) doesn't think to offer him, because DAD does not like them, like pickles and cukes and tomatoes...
Yes, we all have hair pulling moments. Mine revolve around children who don't seem to hear a word I say. (Didn't I just tell you NO?) and siblings beating up on each other. It is going both ways now. Aliza had a full set of 8 teeth marks on her leg today. Please move to MD so that we can pull our hair out together!!!! =)
Post a Comment