I made a spontaneous decision today. Not something I am very prone to do. Ask my husband! He will tell you how I research, debate, investigate, think, pray, TALK (how I process), think some more and then agonize because researching I realize how much I still don't know but there's no more time left to keep stalling...
Anyway today I invented something off the cuff--no research or debating! Its called "No Weigh Days".
Meals for Mic are a process. I have a digital scales the weights to the gram, and a spread sheet for the data. Each individual food is weighed then served. All leftovers are meticulously calculated and grams and calories eaten are figured out and added to the chart.
In case you haven't figured it out yet by my recent oral feeding reports...I am burnt out. After a serious sit down with God, I have a better attitude and outlook and am now getting through my days again without bursting into tears at awkward moments. But even that does not change the fact that I am simply tired. Tired of no change...tired of "striving for that which is not happening".
So my newly instituted No Weigh Days are just that! A day (like today) when it would be easier or far more convenient because of other plans to toss the scales and spread sheet, serve her plate, let her eat what she will and toss the leftovers (or give them to little D, or the dog...as appropriate). See, I have HUGE stacks of spreadsheets. And I already know that she is eating between 0 (really bad day) and 300 (excellent day) oral cals a day, and until I see this changing I think this is one thing that I can cut out and give myself a break on occasion...and so...I WILL! HOORAY!
On other news. Very abruptly our weather changed this week and from one day to the next we have obviously entered the rainy season. ...so, for all those who were jealous of my "wading pool in February" pictures. Be jealous no more. From here on out for the rest of "summer" your weather will get nicer and nicer and mine will get muddier and muddier...oh, well...such is life! As long as we can manage to get the wipers working on the car SOON, and keep the roof from leaking to bad we'll be OK.
5 comments:
mealtime must be SUCH a drag!! I would have given up the charting LONG ago. You are amazing; and I"m so glad you have the freedom to "let go" now.
And being a total ignoramous on this point, I'm curious, but please don't be offended for me asking...Why can't you just put before Mic what you would expect her to eat and then blenderize the rest? (because it has to be pretty liquefied and she can't handle the volume? so you have to make more nutrient dense?--just guessing).
Some moms do something similar to that. In fact, I know an adult with a G-tube who even eats out, she just calls ahead to make sure that they are willing to liquify her order for her--very cool.
In the begining, for us, it was all about calories, reflux and volume so meal by meal wasnt even an option. Not to mention that I really had no concept of what size a meal for her should even look like. Volume is still an issue, but less of one, and I do add "extra" calories (oil and honey). I have gone through several different routines depending on what is working for us, but right now I dont want to/cant be that tied to the blender. A plain old kitchen blender doesnt cut it, I would have to carry my (heavy) vitamix with me everywhere we went......
I will still be doing some chart checks to keep us on track, but not everyday, for now. Of course, I don't mind your asking, its the best way to learn, and I LOVE teaching others about BD!
(sorry this is a bit long!)
Oh, I'm so thankful I HAVE to ask (that both my kids are healthy and have no real food issues--other than my son is HUGE for his age--He's only 8 1/2, will be 9 at the end of August, and he is over 5 feet tall and weighs about 130#...Our issue with him is that when he was little, he would only eat meat. The doc said, "Oh just put a variety in front of him, he will pick a balanced diet overall." HAH!! We have had to WORK to get him to eat anything other than meat--now he will eat some fruits and some veggies...but he is just the opposite of our daughter who would raid the veggie drawer when no one was looking. It is much easier to not eat when you are hungry than to eat when you are not.)
I guess we all have our challenges in life. I appreciate you sharing yours. You can always read about mine on my blog--if you have the time...
I think that was a Holy Spirit inspired idea.
In only a few weeks you will be escaping that mud for a while!!!!
good for you.
Post a Comment