Yesterday morning we spent a bunch of hours at the hospital. Since getting there is such a journey I try to multitask as much as possible when there.
There are many things I DON'T like about the government run children's hospital that attends to my daughter's needs, but there are also a lot of wonderful things about them.
One of the more superficial "likes" is that they recently finished a HUGE construction project that includes a completely new facility for all the medical appointments equipped with (drumroll) really great playground equipment created in such a way that it is for the exclusive use of patients, is safe, and surrounded by transparent walls so that mom is on the inside waiting to be called in to see the doc but has full view at all times of her child. They also made it accessible for children of all capacities. This is slowly becoming less of an issue for Mic, but when they first opened it, it was huge! This was the only playground equipment I'd found that she could actually use independently!
So, here is the question of the day.
What is the correct manner in which to deal with someone else's rude child? For example, what would you say to the small girl talking to Mic saying, "Girl, Hey, GIRL! NO! You can't come up here with us." While her grandma sits complacently on a bench clear on the other side of the area and probably can't even hear what is being said...and doesn't look to friendly herself.
Really, dear reader, I'm all ears here, and dying to know!...what would YOU do?
3 comments:
i would explain to her that this place was for everyone. If she argued, I would tell her to go ask her grandma....
I'm sure there are more tactful people with better responses out there. And I suppose it would depend on the age and understanding of the other girl. Is she old enough to know better? Does she have a learning disabilty that would make her less able to pick up on social subleties (like my son).
I would go on over and ask her what was so neat about that place (in a nice tone, of course):) I would tell her that I wished I was little enough to play there. Children are all about small talk. I would then make conversations on what I used to play on when I was little, maybe imagine that area was a boat or cave and "what would you do?", etc. Once you see her "loosening up" a bit she will more than likely forget that she didn't want Mic to play there. Children would like to play with other children more than talk to an adult! :)
If you see that the child is just hard core and not going to change her mind, just direct Mic to another play area. This is a great time to teach her about Jesus! Explain that not all people are nice where we go but Jesus wants us to be nice back to them.
I have been in situations like that before. It depends so much on the kid. I have actually done all of the things mentioned by the others at various times. For Hannah at the age she is now I usually give her some ideas of things she could say to them and encourage her to address the issue herself. She is so timid, and I want her to see that she is able to deal with situations like that. Always adding in that if they still don't want to be kind, it is best to just find another part of the playground to use. And of course I can never resist tossing in a reminder to remember how that feels and make sure you and your friends never treat anyone like that.
I have also had to deal with children pushing other kids down or throwing things, etc. on the playground. I don't like having to get on other people's kids, but when it involves the safety of the kids around them...any kids around them, not just mine...then I will do it. The stern teacher voice comes out in full force.
Post a Comment