Monday, October 27, 2008

Just call this Titleless Monday! My brain is to tired to come up with much of anything right now. However, all in all, today was a better day-PTL. Breakfast has generally been the toughest meal & today was no exception. But we got past it and moved on and actually by the end of today her toal calorie intake was a little over 50% oral!!! This really is a cause to celebrate! ...especially if she can manage to maintain or improve on this trend for several days. --I mean REALLY, I have to remember that only eight short days ago she was 0% oral!
I am very happy with how this is going. It does feel painfully slow, and yet I know that its actually amazing progress for such a short time. And while I Know that worry is just a joy robber, I can't help but feel a little concern on the nutritian piece. All this is SO focused on calorie counting...because it has to be. Bottom line is weight gain & brain protection. But I still know that until the proper nutritian is in place to complement those calories we can't look at a realistic G-tube removal scenario. This frusterates me. And I know I am getting way ahead of myself. And that frusterates me too!!! : P
OK, enough on that!
Bottom line..."Thank you, Lord, for this amazing gift. ...amen"

6 comments:

KaraBeagle said...

I'm sure there are statistics on how long the average child takes, etc. I'm equally sure that because each child is so unique, those statistics would be meaningless and frustrating to look at. But I know this, when I climb Mt. Pisgah, it's more encouraging to look at how far I have come than how far I have to go. And I often stop on the way up to catch my breath and enjoy the gorgeous view of the valley below!

My husband often asks me, "Are you glad you married me?" We have had a really long journey of a marriage--not his fault at all, just life and growth and the "normal" course of a life not always completely submitted to God. And I think, if I could have seen the road laid out before me when I walked down that aisle, I would have turned and run. (Not that it would have been any different or better with anyone else...)

The point is, it is often daunting and overwhelming (and scary!!) to look at how far we have to go. It's much more encouraging and actually beautiful, to see how far we have come. So, enjoy the view. You have come a LONG way in a very short time. (And for what it's worth, EVERY parent worries about whether their toddler is getting adequate nutrition. My son's physician told me to just put a wide variety of healthy food before him and he would overall pick a balanced diet. Well...he eats mostly meat, very few vegetables and a few fruits...but at just barely 8, he is 4'10", about 2 years ahead of the curve and healthy as a horse. Nutrition is fabulously forgiving in kids. She will get there!!)

fany nnamezie said...

I was reading what karabeagle said and it is so true,let me mention that Blessing eats mostly fruit some veggies and pasta and almost no meat and she is ok with that.

I am really impressed on how you are doing because I know you may not feel it but me that I am just reding your achievements the past week and I am like WOW!! Good job and Praise the Lord!! We keep you in our prayers!!!

fany nnamezie said...

I have a short funny story for you. The day you left (as I told you on the phone)we really wanted to go say good bye to you at the airport, so as we were not able to do so. Me and the kids were on the roof at home at the appointed time waving good bye to every plane on the sky. First Bless was like ok why are we waving good bye saying 'Mic, I see no conection??? so after a while we came down and I tried to explain to her the situation. The funny and nice thing is that now when she sees a plane on the sky she says "'Mic bye-bye!!come!!!"...

Me said...

Thanks Fany! That is a GREAT story! Just seems like every three or four days or so Mic will suddenly mention Blessing or ask to go to Blessing's house. You all are definatly not forgotten!

Me said...

to karabeagle:
thanks so much. that is a great perspective. And goes so perfectly with what i want to blog about tonight that you have given me my title!
...i am trying so hard to figure out if we know each other personally and drawing a blank. can you help me solve my mystery? :P

KaraBeagle said...

No, I think we only know each other in heart. I saw you post on Dorcas Smucker's blog and followed your profile and found your blog... and then fell in love with Mic--and all of you really.

One of my friends has a son (adult now, in college) who was born with a cleft palate and has had multiple surgeries and struggled with esteem issues and all that stuff that Mic has not yet faced, and hopefully will not have to face. So we have a connection there, sort of. I live in Junction City, Oregon and have two kids here, and two in heaven. My oldest just turned 24, my youngest, my challenge!, just turned 8. He is a different breed of kid and so I understand the mother's heart when you have a child that doesn't quite fit the mold. But, like Mic, he is exactly how God made him, and we have grown so much through knowing him and raising him.

Thank you so much for sharing Mic with us and for keeping us updated. You are doing a great job. I"m thrilled with the progess you all are making. Keep up the good work. I'm so glad she has you as her parents. And I'm sure you have grown in so many ways because of loving her, too.